Thursday, December 10, 2009

RM 3:1, Cris double












Cristiano Ronaldo demonstrated he was back to his best for Real Madrid, scoring twice in the 3-1 Champions League win at Olympique Marseille.

The former Manchester United forward, who returned earlier this month following two months out with an ankle problem, tormented the Marseille defence throughout, netting a clinical double.

"Cristiano Ronaldo was the best player on the pitch," said Zinedine Zidane, now an adviser to Real's president Florentino Pérez.

Marseille-born Zidane, who starred for Madrid between 2001 and 2006 and who held the tag as the world's most expensive transfer prior to this summer, added: "Cristiano is not just very good, he is phenomenal. He does fantastic things, at times even better then me. Only great players can score such a magnificent goal three minutes into a game. He makes a difference. Some players are different from the rest because they do what others can't."

Ronaldo, sent off for Real at the weekend, put the Spanish side in front after only five minutes, firing a fine 30-yard free-kick into Steve Mandanda's top corner. He wrapped up the win with 10 minutes left after pinching the ball from the Marseille keeper before coolly slotting home.

"We know he is a great player and a great professional," Real's coach Manuel Pellegrini said. "I had already said he would not be affected by his sending-off last weekend in La Liga. He has this capacity to spring from everywhere and score."

Ronaldo had an odd weekend as he missed a penalty, scored a goal, set up another and picked a red card for a second bookable offence in a 4-2 victory over Almería on Saturday.

The former Manchester United player was unstoppable at the Stade Vélodrome, twisting Marseille defenders inside-out on both flanks with his acceleration and some exquisite turns as Real finished top of Group C above Milan.

Worryingly for opposing defenders, the Portugal international insists he is still getting back to his best. "I'm still not 100%, I can still give more. Little by little I'm improving. I've been out for a long time, but all the time I feel better. I need to continue as I have been doing," he said.

"This match will do him good mentally," said Pellegrini. "Too bad he will not be there for the Valencia game." However, Ronaldo, who is suspended for the encounter with La Liga's third-placed side, is confident Madrid can succeed without him at the Mestalla.

"I didn't want to be sent off against Almería, I'm human and I've already said sorry. In any case, I'm confident that my team-mates will do very well in Valencia," he said.

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com