Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cristiano full of praise for Messi




Portuguese international Cristiano Ronaldo left Manchester United for Real Madrid last summer and has immediately developed into an important first team member at Los Blancos. However, the tricky attacker expects Barcelona star Lionel Messi to scoop up the FIFAPlayer of the Year award.

"It will be a feeling of great happiness if I win the trophy again. Everybody knows how important and big this award is. I felt privileged when I won itlast year and I’m sure this year's winner will be delighted," said Ronaldo on a press conference.

The attacker also spoke about the way things are going at Manchester United this season and made it clear that they're doing good without him.

"I think Manchester United do very well without me. They lost their last two games, but still sit second in the league. I don’t want to say anything about what the people say about me not being there. I miss Manchester a bit and I have lots of friend there, but I’m at Madrid now and enjoy being there.

Ronaldo was full of praise for Club World Champions Barcelona and emphasized that the Catalan side have been in superb form last year. However, the Portuguese is keen to repeat Barca's heroics with Real Madrid.

"I believe success peaks for itself. Barcelona have won everything, they’re the best club at the moment. They have a certain style of play and most of their players have played together for many years. They’re an outstanding team. Nevertheless, everything is possible in football and we’ll do our utmost to win the league and Champions League this term with Real Madrid."

"Lionel Messi has played very well and is an important player for Barcelona. He will probably win the award, but Xavi and Iniesta are also important for Barca and deserve to win thePlayer of the Year trophy as well. It’s the team that wins prizes, not individual players. Barcelona have won six prizes and are a great team.

"Everybody gets what he deserves and I'm not jealous at Lionel. I’d like to command him for what he’s done and I’d like to command the other nominated players as well."

The former Sporting CP starlet finally discussed the upcoming 2010 World Cup and stated that England will be a force to be reckoned with in South Africa.

"England have a fantastic team with some fantastic players. They were great during the qualification campaign and have a superb coach. They have to potential to go far in South Africa. Spain and Brazil also have a big chance to become World Champions.

"Portugal are not among the favourites, but we can always surprise. Nobody expected Greece to come out on top in 2004 and they managed to shock the entire football world. I'm looking forward to the tournament and want to show what we can in South Africa."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com