Monday, December 08, 2008

'Touched' Cris receives Ballon d'Or in Paris






Cristiano Ronaldo was overcome by joy as he finally got his hands on the prestigious Ballon d'Or trophy in Paris.

The Manchester United winger was named as Kaka's successor in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Today he was presented with the Ballon d'Or trophy - a golden ball - in a televised ceremony and admitted it was a dream come true.

''I'm very, very happy,'' he said.

''It's a dream I've had since I was younger, I've always dreamed about winning it one day.

''I'm very moved, very happy and I'd like to take this opportunity to dedicate this trophy to my family, they've helped me get here.

''I thank my mother, my father ... my close friends. I had a whole list of people I wanted to thank but it's difficult, I can't remember as it's too emotional.

''The trophy is splendid, marvellous, very beautiful. I've waited for this.''

Of the 96 leading journalists polled, 77 voted Ronaldo as their number one player this year and every one placed him in their top five after he scored 42 goals in United's Premier League and Champions League winning season.

Ronaldo polled a massive 446 points from a maximum of 480, finishing comfortably ahead of second-placed Lionel Messi (281) and third-placed Fernando Torres (179).

The 23-year-old even had a tear in his eye as he listened to people pay tribute to his stunning year.

''I'm very touched,'' he said. ''Very moved, I'm very sensitive.

''But I'd like to thank my fellow professionals especially my team-mates without whom I wouldn't have been able to win the Ballon d'Or.

''It's also thanks to them that I have this award.

''I was 18 when I came to Manchester, very young. I always had great hopes of becoming a great footballer, in Europe and the world and that's what I've always tried to do - to improve year by year.

''Of course it's not been easy but I don't regret anything that I've done to get here.

''I always dreamed of lifting this trophy and it's thanks to God that I have it now.''

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com