Saturday, November 28, 2009

"Those who are ambitious must always believe they are the favourites to win"


Cristiano Ronaldo talked to the media two days before his first match against Barcelona as a Real Madrid player.

Do you feel ready to be a starter at Camp Nou?
I think it's normal for me not to be in optimum form right now. I just want to help the team.

What have you been told of last season's Clasico at the Bernabeu?
I don't like to talk about the past. I don't care what happened because I wasn't there. I'm concerned about the present. I hope we can defeat Barcelona.

Pellegrini's opening speech today was longer than usual.
That's because he said everything outdoors today. He usually talks to us inside too. It has nothing to do with the fact that we're about to face Barcelona.

Does the leadership make you favourites to win the match?
I always think there are no favourites. Those who are ambitious must always believe they are the favourites to win. We have great respect for our opponent, but we shouldn't be afraid of them. They are a great team, but I don't believe either of us is the favourite to win.

Do you think the team depends on you?
We are leaders in the two most important competitions, so I don't think the team depends on me at all. We are doing well and scoring goals. I'd like to help.

Does the fact that the crowd will be against you motivate you even more?
I'm used to that. It was the case for me at every English stadium after Portugal eliminated England from the 2006 World Cup, but I nevertheless ended up becoming the best player in the Premiership. I'm just concerened about playing well on Sunday and about helping the team. I think we can win with or without me.

Are you anxious to play a game like the Clasico?
I'm always anxious; it has nothing to do with the fact that we'll play against Barcelona. I am ambitious. Every player wants to take part in a Clasico.

What do Real Madrid need to do to win?
We'll have to play well and score more goals than Barcelona.

What do you regard as playing well?
We shouldn't be scared of playing against Barcelona. We'll have to play as we always do. Barcelona won't attack us in the same way they attack their other opponents and they will also defend themselves more. I want us to play well, to keep possession and to have chances on goal.

Would you like Messi to play?
Great footballers should always play if they can. I don't know if he's going to play, but Barcelona didn't use Messi and Ibrahimovic the other day and they nevertheless performed very well. The team has a good system in which every footballer plays well. Messi has unusual quality, but every man on that squad is very good. It will be a difficult match with or without Messi.

What do you think of your personal fight to be the best player in the world?
I'm not worried about that. I just want to win.

Do you enjoy Real Madrid's style?
I do. I'm relaxed after we win and I sleep very well. The important thing is to win and it's even better when we do so by playing well.

Why does everyone say Barcelona play better?
Because they do, but can't be doing that badly when you look at the run we are having.

How many goals would you like to score on Sunday?
Ten, twenty... I don't know if it will be possible though.

Is the match similar to a Manchester United-Liverpool clash?
Classic encounters are similar in every country because fans love them. They are always special. People have the same passion for them.

How will you prepare for the match?
I always do the same regardless of the opponent. It will be a special encounter because we'll have the chance of distancing ourselves further from them on the table. It will be difficult, but we'll try to win.

Your team went through some dire straits while you were injured...
You can't win anything without experiencing difficulties. You have to work hard in life in order to achieve something and that is just what we are doing. Our style isn't brilliant, but we are earning the results we want. We are leaders in La Liga and in the Champions League. We will improve. We must be humble and realise we can always do better.

Do you feel like you've got unfinished business with Barcelona for losing against them in the Champions League final?
I've only got unfinished business regarding bills from the water and electric companies... Barcelona play well, but what happened then is now in the past. I'm at a new club now and we have a winning mentality.

Doesn't a winner like yourself ever think about the past?
It happened a long time ago. I have to think about the present and the future. The past is useful to learrn from, but we must always look ahead. We will try to do our best and win. I have no unfinished business with Barcelona.

Is the squad determined to show the world you can play better than Barcelona?
This isn't a Champions League final. It is a regular game worth three points against a good opponent. What if we win on Sunday and lose our next clash? Victory would be pointless then. We have to be regular. It will be hard, I know, and we will face a strong opponent too.

Do you connect well with Benzema?
Very well, but I don't know if I'm going to play yet. I connect well with everyone; Raul, Benzema, Higuain...

The crowd slightly whistled and booed at the team on Wednesday...
It had nothing to do with our performance. We were winning. I'm sure we'll improve.

Whom would you rather sign from Barcelona, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi...
None, but they are all very good.

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com