Monday, January 22, 2007

Ronaldo set for new deal

Manchester United are preparing to offer flying winger Cristiano Ronaldo a new five year, double-your-money deal worth £100,000 a week.

Ronaldo, whose pace and skill has set the Premiership alight this season, has attracted the attention of Real Madrid and Barcelona so United are keen to secure his long-term future with a lucrative contract worth £26million.

Many thought that the 21-year-old Portuguese would leave United last summer after he was made a scapegoat for England's dismal departure from the World Cup in Germany. The part he played in Wayne Rooney's dismissal made it seem unlikely he would return to play in England but his astonishing performances and 13 league goals have been the perfect riposte. Ronaldo has told the News of the World that he is indebted to Sir Alex Ferguson. The United manager persuaded Ronaldo to stay at Old Trafford by telling him he could make him the best player in the world.

The Portugal star said: "The manager told me not to pay any attention to all the criticism but just concentrate on playing. The support I've received from him has really helped. For me he's been exemplary. When he thinks he has to correct me he does it without any problem. It did look as if I might be leaving at one stage but I did not want to leave such a great club. The manager told me I can be the best player in the world and that's the opinion of a great man who knows a lot about football. I'm grateful and proud that he said that. I know I have to keep developing and that I'm growing as a player. I'll get there one day."

Ronaldo is second top goalscorer in the Premiership and pocketed the Player of the Month award in November and December - only the third player to win the award for two consecutive months.

He believes his stunning form will help United pip their challengers to the title, stating: "I believe this year we are going to succeed and be Premiership champions. I'm thrilled to be a member of this team. Everything is fantastic and goals come naturally. What really matters is the team and to win matches, to be a champion and work hard."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com