Thursday, September 17, 2009

"I believe I am a good role model"

Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo is showing he is worth his hefty $131 million price tag, when he scored 2 goals in Madrid’s 5-2 win against Switzerland’s FC Zurich Sept. 15.

Ronaldo, 24, has been under intense pressure to perform ever since his record-breaking transfer from Manchester United this summer.

The Portuguese international winger has been solid in his initial games this season. On Sept. 12, Cristiano scored a goal in Madrid’s win over Espanyol Barcelona.

Ronaldo, who is the reigning FIFA World Player of the Year, has been adjusting to his new football club well and isn’t fazed by all the media scrutiny. When pressed, the intensely private Cristiano says he tries his best to be a good role model.

“I try to behave well on and off the field, although that is not always easy for different reasons,” says Ronaldo. “I try to be good, especially for the children. It is important to grow up with good examples. That is a big responsibility for me. I do believe I am a good role model.”

While the press is obsessed with the single Cristiano’s love life, he insists he tries to stay out of the public eye as much as possible.

“I come under intense media scrutiny so I am very private about the girls I date,” says Ronaldo. “I am a gentleman, and I do not want them to experience the media pressure, which I have learned to ignore. For me, a girl does not need to be famous for me to like her. I do have my romantic moments but I am sensible.”

Meanwhile, Real Madrid’s coach has openly stated that Cristiano has overtaken Brazilian superstar Kaká as the world’s best football player. So what is Ronaldo’s secret for being the best? “I must always step on to the pitch with my right foot first when playing a match,” he says.

Adds Ronaldo: “You can never just relax and think that you have reached your best. You have to keep training hard, improving, learning new things.”

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com