Sunday, November 02, 2008

Cris : I deserve to win Ballon d'Or

Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo believes that it would be 'logical' for him to win the prestigious European Footballer of the Year accolade...

The club form of Cristiano Ronaldo during the course of the 2007/08 season was nothing short of spectacular; the 23 year-old ended the campaign with 42 goals in all competitions, the top scorer award in both the Premier League and Champions League and claimed team honours with a winner's medal in both of those competitions.

He dispelled the notion that he was not a 'big game player' with Premier League goals twice against Arsenal as well as netting against Chelsea in the Champions League final.

Last week, Ronaldo won the FifPro World Footballer of the Year title and he expects to add to his individual honours list with the Ballon D'Or later in the year.

He told L'Equipe: "You could consider it logical and that's pretty much my opinion. But it's not me who votes. There are several candidates, but the person who has to win is he who was the best during the whole year.

"I was very consistent, I was a Premier League winner, I won the Champions League, I was the best European goalscorer, the best goalscorer in the Champions League."

The Portuguese captain also claimed the two individual honours in England with the Football Writers' award and the PFA accolade last season, and he now wants to put his disappointment at finishing second in the Ballon D'Or running last year to Kaka' behind him.

He continued: "I only think about me, about my progression. I don't worry about possible rivals. Everything I did, I did well, I succeeded in having an extraordinary season."

Ronaldo now admits that he is completely focussed on life with Manchester United after a summer of uncertainty. His flirtation with Real Madrid saw him almost head for the Old Trafford exit door, but he now insists that he is ready to fight for another year at the Red Devils.

He concluded: "I have my mind completely on the club. I am happy there. At the moment my aim is to get back to top form as quickly as possible and win as many trophies as last season."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com