Saturday, January 05, 2008

2008 will be better

CRISTIANO RONALDO says 2007 was a dream — but has warned 2008 will be even better.

The Manchester United star won his first title medal and came close to a treble last year.

He was also voted Footballer of the Year and just missed out on the European and world accolades.

Now he wants to top that by helping United retain their title and land a double with the Champions League after coming up short in the semi-finals last season.

Ronaldo, 22, said: “For me, 2007 will always be an extraordinary year. I was champion of England, reached the semis of the European Cup and fought out the final of the FA Cup.

“I think I really did a good job of work. And I hope to do better in 2008.

“As usual the priority at United is the Premiership and the Champions League. These are the two most important trophies.

“Last year we had no luck against Milan in the semi-finals. I hope this time the wheel of fortune will turn in our favour. We have the means to do it.”

Boss Alex Ferguson has already said he believes this squad is his best ever.

Ronaldo agrees that the blend is just right. The Portuguese winger added: “At Manchester United, we have a good mix of older and newer players.

“All of them are really competitive. We just have to convince ourselves that we have the means to win.”

Ronaldo set up Carlos Tevez for United’s winner over Birmingham on New Year’s Day. That kept them two points behind leaders Arsenal and Ronaldo believes they have the strength to overhaul the Gunners.

He said: “We didn’t set off well in the league this time but we have soon caught up.

“For some time, we have proved we are getting more resilient in our game, more controlled, more effective.

“In short, we are playing better and that bodes well for the rest of the season.

“Now we have got to stay serious, we mustn’t let the effort slip.”

Ronaldo is the country’s top scorer with 18 goals and believes he is in top form.

He said: “Personally I feel great. I get the feeling I am improving with every game.

“Some claim I am the best player in the world, others not. To tell you the truth, I have never really asked myself that question.

“First of all I dream of shining for United, to do my work to the best of my ability and to make day-to-day progress.

“I try to conduct my career in that fashion, without paying too much attention to what is being said on the sidelines.”

Ronaldo is a transformed player from the gangly show pony that first arrived from Sporting Lisbon 4½ years ago.

He said: “I am at the ideal club to grow and to reach the summit. That’s the key to my success.

“When I came to England, I was only 18. In four years,

everything has changed.

“I am no longer the same player. Thanks to mixing with some of the best players in the world, I have made progress on every front.

“I have become more sure of myself and thus I now have great ambitions for my club and for myself this season.

“With my team-mates, the understanding is remarkable. Nani, he’s a good mate. Like me, he came from Sporting Lisbon. He’s a very gifted player but he and I are not alike really.

“He has his own personality, his own style. He is only 21 and has much to learn. And, like me, he has chosen the ideal club to progress with and to lead a solid career.

“With Wayne Rooney, everything’s going well. Despite what happened between us in the past there are no problems or worries now.”

Although Ronaldo could not resist a little jibe at his friend and team-mate’s expense.

He said: “He won’t be at Euro 2008. I will be, though! I really want to win that. I will do everything to take us all the way.”

Ferguson is delighted with Ronaldo’s form but believes he needs more major medals to back up his ranking in world football.

Fergie said: “We are rating Cristiano Ronaldo the best player in the world — but he needs the medals to prove it.”

Meanwhile, Tevez has a badly bruised ankle from the game against Birmingham but hopes to be fit for the January 12 clash with Newcastle.

CRISTIANO RONALDO says he owes manager Alex Ferguson all his wages for helping him become the star he is today.

The flamboyant Portuguese winger, signed by Ferguson from Sporting Lisbon for £12million back in 2003, said: “I owe the manager my contract extension.

“In fact, I think I owe him everything. He is a great man, an exceptional manager.

“He knows my potential and always tries to get the best out of me.

“He puts great faith in me and it’s extremely flattering.”

Ronaldo won a reported £400 off his manager last season — after a bet on how many goals he would score for United.

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com