Friday, September 01, 2006

Still Happy

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is "very happy" at Manchester United, despite criticism he received for his part in Wayne Rooney's World Cup red card. Ronaldo's future was in doubt after he pleaded for Rooney to be sent off in the quarter-final defeat to Portugal.

The 21-year-old was linked with a move to Real Madrid, but said: "Manchester United are the ideal club for me. "It is true that I said one day I would like to play in Spain. But if that doesn't happen, it won't be a problem." He added: "I still feel very happy."

Ronaldo has been a target for opposing fans, but said: "I knew I'd be whistled as soon as I put a foot on the pitch at Charlton, but I faced the game in a very calm way. "I won't give any importance to the whistles or the insults." The winger claims his reaction to Rooney's apparent stamp on Portugal team-mate Ricardo Carvalho in their win against England was "normal" and believes everyone puts club loyalties to one side when playing for their countries.

He said: "Throughout my career, I have always defended - in any circumstances - my country. "It could be that my best friends play for other teams, but firstly I will defend my country and my shirt. "Secondly, what happened was absolutely normal - and I think any player who was in the same situation would have done the same." Ronaldo insists the incident is now forgotten at United and has rubbished suggestions he is desperate for a move to Spain. He said: "It's true I'm moving, but I've moved house every year in Manchester."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com