Friday, September 01, 2006

C.Ronaldo: Why I Stayed at United

CRISTIANO RONALDO last night declared his ambition to become a Manchester United legend after finally breaking his silence over his decision to stay at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese winger has become a hate figure amongst Premiership fans for his part in getting England star Wayne Rooney sent off during the World Cup.

But in his first interview since then, Ronaldo insists that he would still do the same again to protect his country's "honour" and claims that he wants to emulate George Best and become a United "phenomenon".

It is a remarkable turnaround for Ronaldo, who said during the World Cup that he wanted to quit United for Spanish giants Real Madrid. He now says he would be happy to stay for life, adding: "When we are hot-headed, sometimes we say things we don't mean to, or, at least, that are not appropriate.

"I have been here since I was 18 years old, the club have supported me from the first to the last minute of my career, things have gone well. I have developed a lot in all aspects, physically as well as mentally, which has all been very gratifying for me."

And on becoming a United legend, he said: "It is an important phenomenon. To stay at the club until the end of my career...we will see what happens. "It is true that I said that one day I would like to play in Spain. But if that does not happen, it will not be a problem. I am at United and I feel very good. "This is one of the biggest clubs in the world. My ambition was always to play for a big club - and here I am. There is one thing I am sure of: Manchester United are the ideal club for me."

Despite the furore surrounding his World Cup antics, Ronaldo insists that he would always put his country before anything. Ronaldo's behaviour as Rooney was sent off - including the wink to his bench - made him public enemy No.1 in England.

Ronaldo admits that he received death threats and had extra security put on his house in Manchester, but insists that he never fell out with Rooney. "Most people think that I had a hassle with him, but that isn't true," said Ronaldo. "Throughout my career I have always defended, and in any circumstances, my country.

"It could be that my best friends play for other teams but, firstly, I will defend my country and my shirt. "Secondly, what actually happened was an absolutely normal thing, and I believe any player who was in my situation would have done the same thing. "And thirdly, I haven't had any problem with Wayne Rooney. He is my colleague and my friend, and we continue to get along fine."

Ronaldo also insists that United are capable of beating Chelsea to the Premiership title this season. He said: "I really hope so. This is now my fourth season at Manchester United - I hope we can do it this year. "The team are good enough, we are confident enough and we are playing very attractive football. I hope this can be our year. "Chelsea got beaten in their second Premiership match, which was good, but above all we have to be concerned about ourselves. "We have to play our game, to think week by week about being consistent and, if we can do that, Manchester United will have a great chance."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com