Thursday, September 20, 2007

Emotional Win




Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo admitted to mixed emotions after his header sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester United at Sporting Lisbon in their Champions League Group F clash.

The winger received a warm reception from home fans at the club where he began his professional career, but there was no room for sentiment when he nodded home Wes Brown's cross in the 62nd minute for the only goal.

United's Ronaldo, whose celebrations were muted, told Sky Sports afterwards: "This is my colour, red, this is my team, but I like Sporting - it's my second home and I am a little bit sad, but Manchester is my team.

"These people are very important to me. But I am happy for the victory and three points."

He added: "It was a perfect night - I score, I win, it was great for Manchester United. It is always important to win away.

"It was a fantastic game that everyone enjoyed and I think the result was fair."

Ronaldo spent seven years wearing Sporting green before he left for Old Trafford in 2003 with a 12.2million price tag.

He marked his return home by providing the Red Devils with only their third Champions League away win in 15 encounters.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted to open with a win away from Old Trafford. "Winning your first game away from home sets the tone for us," he said.

"At half-time we looked to improve our game with more penetration and I think we did.

"They had some opportunities on the edge of the box but never really opened us up."

Ferguson was happy with Wayne Rooney's contribution as he lasted more than 70 minutes in his first appearance since breaking his foot on the opening day of the season.

"It was difficult to know how long to keep him on but the goal made it easy," he said. "I'm sure he'll be ready for Sunday (against Chelsea)."

Read more...

No comments:

Sand Dollar Template Template - Modified by iMessengr.com